Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Solvang



 Slovang. Danish Village in Santa Barbara by Rose of Sharon

from by Pinterest board: YES, I'VE BEEN THERE

Solvang, California

A quaint little Danish town located in the Santa Ynez valley just inland for the coast mid state, and very close to Lompoc, where I lived from 1969-1970. The city is home to a number of bakeries, restaurants, and merchants offering a taste of Denmark in California.

I haven't been here for quite some time but I've heard it looks much the same as it did back in the 70s and is still a tourist destination. As a young child (around 4th or 5th grade), my favorite thing about visiting this fun place was the soft pretzels found in one of the bakeries. They were the best and I have never had pretzels that have tasted as good. Maybe it was a Danish thing, and having never been to Denmark, I really don't know. To this day, I'll never forget those pretzels. Maybe I'll have to make a special trip up to Solvang next time I'm in California. If the pretzels are still there and taste the same, it would be well worth the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment